At Ballygarvan on Wednesday evening, Inniscarra were defeated by Ballygarvan in the semi-final of the Rebel Og Mid Minor Hurling Division 1 after extra time. In a very exciting and close contest the sides finished level on 18 points each after normal time but in extra time Ballygarvan got the vital goal which decided the contest. 

 Against the wind in the first half, Inniscarra were two points down before a clever ball by John Cussen reached Stephen Linehan who was fouled and Joe Enright pointed the free. A superb catch and clearance by Colin O'Leary reached Mark Linehan who was fouled with Joe Enright pointing the free. A good save by Evin Cunningham got the ball to Oisin Morris who found Mark Linehan who was again fouled with Joe converting the free. A good interception and clearance by Peter Dunne got the ball to Se O'Donoghue who passed to Stephen Linehan who was fouled and Joe converted the free. Inniscarra trailed by 5 points to 4 points at the first water break but three points scored to Ballygarvans one meant Inniscarra led for the first time. A foul on Stephen Linehan after a good delivery by Scott McElroy, led to Joe Enright pointing the free and a very good point by Se O'Donoghue after a good run and pass by Joe Enright, was followed by another pointed free by Joe after good defending and a long clearance by Sean Quinlivan reached Stephen Linehan who was again fouled. Good defending by Neil Vaughan, who got out in front of his marker, got the ball to John Cussen who picked out Mark Linehan who was fouled with Joe pointing the free.   HALF TIME SCORE   INNISCARRA  0  -  8,  BALLYGARVAN  0  -  10.

    Ballygarvan got three early points in the second half, with Stephen Linehan getting one for Inniscarra after good work by Sean Leisk and Sean McLoughlin. Excellent defending by Sean Aherne resulted in a free out, which reached Scott McElroy and he was fouled and Joe pointed the free. A foul on Luke Keogh resulted in a massive long range point by Joe Enright and another pointed free followed after a foul on Sean Leisk. Good work by Shay Dineen got the ball to Stephen Linehan, who pointed and Inniscarra now trailed by 13 points to 16 points at the second water break but two excellent points by Sean Leisk and Sean McLoughlin reduced the deficit to a minimum. Inniscarra then looked in trouble when Evin Cunningham had to come off his line to repel an attack but a brilliant save by Luke Keogh saved a certain goal.  Yet another foul on Stephen Linehan resulted in a pointed free by Joe Enright. A long clearance by Colin O'Leary reached Shay Dineen who was fouled and Joe pointed the free. The last score in normal time was another point by Joe Enright after good work by Colm Heelan.  Full Time INNISCARRA  0  -  18 ,  BALLYGARVAN  0  -  18.

    Extra time didnt go well for Inniscarra but Evin Cunningham made some good saves and when Ballygarvan did get their goal the result was inevitable. Inniscarra scored two points in the first period of extra time, a pointed free by Joe Enright and a point by Mark Linehan after good work by Aaron O'Donovan. In the second period, Joe Enright scored another pointed free following a foul on Colm Heelan.    Final Score  INNISCARRA  0  -  21,  BALLYGARVAN   1  -  25  (AET)

    SCORERS,  Joe Enright   0  -  15,  Stephen Linehan  0  -  2, Se O'Donoghue  0  -  1,  Sean McLoughlin  0  -  1, Sean Leisk  0  -  1,  Mark Linehan  0  -  1.

    TEAM,   Evin Cunningham,   Sean Aherne,  Neil Vaughan,  Luke Keogh,  Peter Dunne,  Colin O'Leary,  Sean Quinlivan,  Scott McElroy,  Oisin Morris,  John Cussen,  Joseph Enright, Sean Leisk, Stephen Linehan, Mark Linehan, Se O'Donoghue,  subs, Sean McLoughlin for Oisin,  Shay Dineen for Scott, Colm Heelan for John,  Aaron O'Donovan for Peter,  Sean Naughton,  Conor Desmond (inj) Ethan Pigott (inj).  

Back to top