FE 16 HURLING LEAGUE FINAL 2019-11-13 13:17:00

On Saturday afternoon, on a cold November day, Inniscarra defeated Whitechurch at Ballyanly in the final of the Fe 16 Mid/South Region Division 1 Hurling League Final.  This was a hard fought game in conditions not suitable for free flowing hurling but Inniscarra stuck to the task and emerged victorious.  Inniscarra got the perfect start with some lovely stickwork involving Conrad Desmond, Mark Linehan and John Cussen setting up Joe Enright for the opening point. Conrad Desmond and John Cussen again combined to get the ball to Harry Church who was fouled and Joe Enright converted the free. A great clearance by Peter Dunne was played by Mark Linehan to Scott McElroy and he picked out Harry Church who scored a great goal. Whitechurch responded with three pointed frees but good defending by Liam Buckley got the ball to Sean McLoughlin and his upfield clearance was expertly controlled by Jonathan Keane who was fouled and Joe Enright converted the free. Whitechurch again replied with three points but a short puck out by Colm Heelan to Aaron O'Donovan was picked up by Se O'Donoghue and he passed to Brian Lowney (on as a blood sub) who scored a lovely point. Yet again Whitechurch scored three points in a row before good work by David Keane and Aaron O'Donovan got the ball to Conrad Desmond who scored a brilliant point. A good interception and clearance by Luke Keogh was brilliantly caught by Joe Enright and his delivery found Jonathan Keane who picked out Conrad Desmond and he scored his second point to leave the half time score INNISCARRA  1  -  6,  WHITECHURCH  0  -  9.

     Inniscarra again started the second half well with Sean McLoughlin fielding the ball and driving upfield before releasing to Scott McElroy whose flick found John Cussen who was fouled with Joe Enright pointing the free. Good work by Aaron O'Donovan, David Keane and Mark Linehan got he ball to Brian Lowney who was fouled and Joe Enright pointed the free. A foul on Paddy O'Herlihy resulted in another pointed free by Joe Enright. More good defending by Liam Buckley and Luke Keogh stymied a Whitechurch attack with the ball reaching Peter Dunne whose long delivery reached Harry Church who was fouled and Joe Enright pointed the free to put Inniscarra in the lead by a point. David Keane then combined with Conrad Desmond to get the ball to Brian Lowney who scored a valuable point with just two minutes remaining.. Whitechurch now went looking for the winning goal  but a brilliant save by Colm Heelan resulted in a 65 which was again played into the danger area but the Inniscarra defence were not to be breached and he final whistle sounded.  INNISCARRA  1  -  11,  WHITECHURCH  0  -  12.

       After the game Inniscarra captain Mark Linehan accepted the cup on behalf of his teammates and thanked supporters and mentors, Seamas Cronin, Liam Linehan, Pio Enright, Robert Harkin, Jim O'Donovan and Martin Cussen.

      Inniscarra scorers,  Joe Enright  0 - 7,  Harry Church  1  - 0,  Brian Lowney  0  -  2, Conrad Desmond  0  -  2.

  Team,  Colm Heelan,  Liam Buckley,  Sean McLoughlin,  Luke Keogh,  David Keane,  Peter Dunne,  Aaron O'Donovan,  Joseph Enright,  Mark Linehan,  Conrad Desmond,  Se O'Donoghue,  Jonathan Keane,  Harry Church,  John Cussen,  Scott McElroy,   subs Brian Lowney for Se, Paddy O'Herlihy for Aaron,  Charlie Harkin,  Eoin O'Connell,  Andrew Scannell,  Cillian Ryan,  Sean Naughton.

Back to top